Wednesday 3 September 2014

Artist Biography

Artist Biography

I have always been inclined towards art since a very young age, trying different forms of art including sketches and watercolours. It gives me the freedom to express myself without using words.

With abstracts I can define my understanding of a situation the way I perceive it, which is not necessarily in its original form. Semi-abstract landscapes give me a sense of how vast the world around us can be within the space of my canvas. I like experimenting with colours and textures which again adds to the abstract nature of my paintings.

The aim of my work is to draw in the viewers to find the deeper meaning under the work creating an emotional response which will keep them thinking about each piece long after they have moved on. My work brings on about a new imagination from the viewers which they perhaps didn’t know existed.

The importance of the world around us motivates me to bring out the vitality of the earth. Without the earth our survival is not possible and yet we abuse the natural resources we have instead of trying our best to conserve them. To maintain our livelihood and sustain the future, we have to appreciate and preserve what we have in nature. Without realising what we have in the first place, we will not be motivated to do anything to preserve our world.

I joined the Blender Art Gallery in Perth, Western Australia where I was living for about 10 years and I participated in their annual exhibitions held for residents. Since my move to Nairobi, I have had several exhibitions including The Nairobi National Museum, Banana Hill Art gallery, Mediterraneo Restaurant, the Village Market and Kuona Trust. I have had extensive media coverage of the exhibitions I have participated in as well curated including interview by GBS and KTN television channels.

My degree in Interactive Multimedia Technologies and Diploma in Photography made me appreciate the unique quality of hand painting in relation to media prints.


No comments:

Post a Comment